|Sessions:||1 April – 7 May 2015 (5 weeks long)|
|Workload:||two lessons each week|
|*||Participation in this course is by invitation.|
The intermediate-level e-learning course on the System of National Accounts (SNA) is the one of three courses comprising the SIAP training programme on the SNA. The courses progressively introduce SNA concepts and compilation methods and the changes introduced in the latest update of SNA standards—the SNA 2008. The first course is a basic-level e-learning course that introduces the basic tenets of the SNA 2008; its target participants are junior statisticians engaged in some aspect of compiling national accounts statistics or data collection of its source statistics.
The intermediate-level course looks more closely at the transaction accounts and its target participants are statisticians with experience in the compilation of national accounts statistics. Participants must have prior knowledge of the SNA 2008 at the level of the basic-level e-learning course.
The course is designed with the following objectives:
1. To provide an overview of the main changes in the SNA 2008 relative to the SNA 1993 and the effects of these changes in the compilation of national accounts statistics;
2. To demonstrate methods and techniques for compiling transactional accounts in the SNA 2008; and
3. To explain and demonstrate techniques for using volume measures to break down key national accounts aggregates using a system of price indices.
At the end of the course, participants are expected to be able to:
1. Apply the SNA 2008 concepts, standards and methods in the compilation of their national accounts;
2. Demonstrate the effects of the SNA 2008 changes relative to the SNA 1993 on their national accounts statistics;
3. Guide the compilation of transaction accounts, and where applicable, the transition to the SNA 2008 concepts, standards and methods.
Trainee performance will be assessed through the following:
• Lesson completion test
• Participation in discussion forums
• Final test
In addition to taking the required tests after completion of each lesson, all the participants are required to submit the assignments. Assignments and lesson completion tests are designed to prepare participants for the final test. Those submitting assignments are expected to benefit from the course instructor’s comments on their solutions. They will also be provided with the correct solutions and explanations.
A final test will be administered at the end of course. The final grade will take into account the results of: lesson completion tests, quizzes, participation in discussion forums and the final test. A final grade of at least 70% is needed to obtain a certificate of successful completion of the course.
The course consists of ten lessons on the transaction accounts of the system of national accounts, as follows:
Lesson I: Review of Basic Concepts – A Brief Recap
Lesson II: Major Changes in SNA 2008
Lesson III: Money Balance Identity
Lesson IV: Integrated System of Transaction Accounts
Lesson V: Production and Generation of Income Accounts
Lesson VI: Distribution and Use of Income Accounts: Main entries & data needs
Lesson VII: Expenditure Components of GDP Lesson VIII: Domestic Economy and External Transactions
Lesson IX: Capital and Financial Accounts: Main entries & data needs
Lesson X: Price and Volume Measures